Workplace Psychology Self-Assessment
Whether we are interacting with our parents, our partner, a customer or a colleague, one thing is for sure - the outcome of the situation is in part determined by our understanding and use of the psychologies that drive interactions.
Understanding, accepting and using basic psychologies is becoming an increasingly important determining factor in how your career develops, from team member through to management and on to the boardroom.
In almost any organisation, it is not he or she that knows the most that will progress the furthest but, instead, those that understand the "human condition".
To see how well developed your skill in this area is, please take the quiz below:
Please read the questions and then select the answers you think are correct.
Once you have answered all the questions you will be presented with your result.
When caught in a "Drama Triangle" the simplest method to remove yourself is:
- The active response
- The negative response
- The passive response
- The positive response
The psychological "game" that invites us to "play" the parts of "Victim, Persecutor" and "Rescuer" can be played with as few as:
- 2 people
- 3 people
- 4 people
- Can only be played by different hierarchies
One of the key principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is that:
- Events don't cause our feelings. It is our interpretation of events and the way we react to them that determines their impact.
- People are basically all the same - if we choose certain modes of behaviour, we're bound to improve our relations.
- Our senses dictate our favoured forms of language patterns.
- We can have little impact upon others' as they choose their own behaviour.
"Catastrophising" is a term used by which branch of psychology to describe the habit of predicting the worst potential outcome in any given situation?
- Freudian Theory
Understanding the theory behind "Adult, Child, Parent" tapes is particularly useful for managers that need to:
- Offer Feedback
- Set Goals
- Appoint Staff
I am a salesperson. I need a psychology that will help me communicate effectively with my clients and / or prospects and to "enter their world". What would you suggest?
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Neuro Linguistic Programming
- Transactional Analysis
- None of the above
Our ability to display Emotional Resilience depends upon oases known as "stability zones". Which of the following is not a stability zone?
"Crossed Transactions" occur when:
- We mismanage our interactions with others' personality styles
- We fail to listen correctly
- We play different "psychological tapes" when communicating
- We incorrectly interpret a person's "triggers"
If you have scored 4 or over, well done!
Don’t worry if your score is relatively low for this quiz. In our experience, an understanding of how workplace psychology affects individuals, teams and ultimately the success of the business is one of the key areas that companies consistently fail to train their teams and management in.
What’s more important than your score in this quiz is knowing that whether we like it or not, acknowledge it or not, the way we interact with colleagues and our customers (both internal and external) can be severely damaged by a lack of understanding of basic psychology.
- How do you, personally, handle rejection of your ideas or input?
- Do you ever find yourself reacting in unexpected ways when trying to handle conflict?
- Are there specific individuals or ‘types’ you find it just impossible to get along with?
- Have you ever noticed how some people with less knowledge and experience are sometimes ‘fast-tracked’ through the ranks?
- Do you occasionally feel ‘under-utilised’ and that your real talents are being ignored?
Finding practical, workable solutions to situations like these is often much simpler than you might think.
Un-learning bad thinking habits and using new, more helpful ones can produce remarkable results for individuals, teams and whole businesses.
Understanding the ‘human condition’ does not have to be a slog. In fact, the feedback New Line Ideas receives indicates that in many cases, learning how to ‘handle’ people better and understanding what drives relationships forwards is the most enjoyable part of a learning intervention.
If you want to start looking through the telescope from the other end, New Line Ideas offers practical, implementable solutions that can help both you, personally, and your team achieve outstanding and rapid results.
Want more info on our management training?
To benefit from an informal discussion on how New Line Ideas can help you achieve long lasting results, please contact us today.